Though there are so many popular snacks and tiffin variety from Southern India but the crisp and spicy Masala dosa tops the list ,undoubtedly the most popular snack from South Indian Cuisine.
Now it is not limited in India but is popular world wide.Their are many snacks from South India which are healthy,easy to prepare and taste wonderful. From this same dosa batter we can also make Idlis which are steamed and are very healthy.
- Potatoes 3, big sized
- Onion 1
- Carrot, finely chopped 2 tbslp
- Green chilli 2
- Finely chopped ginger 1 tblsp
- Turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
- Salt 3/4 – 1 tsp(adjust as per your taste)
- Oil 1 tblsp
- Mustard 3/4 tsp
- urad dal 1 tsp
- Channa dal 2 tsp
- Cashew nuts 5
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Wash and cut each potato into 4 and pressure cook with 1/2 cup water for 3 whistles. Peel off the skin and mash it well. Heat a pan with oil and temper with the items given under ‘to temper’ table in order. Let the cashews turn golden.
- Add chopped ginger, green chilli, onion, carrot and fry well for a minute. Add 1/4 cup water and turmeric.
- Add the mashed potatoes and mix well. Fry for 2-3 minutes, add oil if needed more.
- Spread dosa thin , drizzle some oil or best ghee and when it gets cooked, no need to flip, just spread a ladle full of masala prepared in the middle.
Notes : Use 1/2 tsp ghee along with oil for each dosa , which makes the masal dosa smell divinely. Restrict yourself to one or two to take care of your health/ diet.
Adding finely chopped ginger not only enhances the flavour, also helps in digesting the potato. If you finely chop, then you wont even get it to know while eating.
If you don’t want that, you can also grind the ginger and green chilli with water mentioned in step 2 and use it.